Hard work transfers

Keera Ball, Sports Writer

Hard work leads Xavier’s swimmers to a successful beginning. Senior Hannah Williams and sophomore Maddie Gannon started their new seasons on August 7th, 2017. They are both hoping for big years.

Xavier is a part of the Cedar Rapids co-op. This allows Xavier students to swim with Cedar Rapids Jefferson, Kennedy, and Washington. Xavier has fifteen students participating in girls’ swimming; one with Jefferson, seven with Kennedy, and seven with Washington.

“Swimming for Wash is a really cool experience,” Williams said. “I get the best of both worlds because I get the experience of a public and private school. It has allowed me to meet tons of new people.”

Williams placed second in the 100 meter breaststroke against Cedar Falls on Tuesday, September 5th. Fellow senior teammate, Lauren Havertape, placed first in the 100 yard breaststroke and was second in the 50 yard free, 200 yard medley relay, and the 200 yard free relay. Another senior teammate, Lily Bryant, placed third in the 200 yard medley relay.

Training for the fall started in the summer, but for Gannon it never stopped.

“I have been training year round,” Gannon said. “This summer I swam for my club team and I ran about two miles every day. I went in with an open attitude knowing we had a new coaching staff at Kennedy.”

Gannon placed second in the 200 yard free relay in a duel meet against Iowa City West on September 5th. Her older sister, senior Sarah Gannon, placed second in the 100 yard free, 400 yard free, and the 200 yard free relay.

“I’m really excited for this season,” Maddie Gannon said. “I’m most looking forward to competing in relays. Everyone is looking strong and it will be fun for state.”

The Cougars traveled to Iowa City on Saturday, September 16th to compete in the Little Hawk Invitational. Sarah Gannon placed in the 200 and 500 freestyle. Maddie Gannon placed in the 100 fly.

Kennedy and Washington competed against each other on Tuesday, September 19th at Kennedy High School. The Warriors compete next on Saturday, September 23rd in the Des Moines Lincoln Invite. The Cougars will host a meet on September 23rd.

Keera Ball

Sports Writer